Scriptural Way of the Cross - as used by Saint John Paul II on Good Friday 1991, in the Colosseum, Rome
Before each station we pray:
We adore thee, O Christ and we bless thee, because by thy Holy Cross thou hast redeemed the world.
Then we read the scripture (see below) and spend a few moments of silence meditating on the reading.
Then we pray:
I love thee, Jesus, My Love above all things. I repent with my whole heart for having offended thee. Never permit me to separate myself from thee again. Grant that I may love thee always and then do with me what thou wilt.
Our Father…… Hail Mary………. Glory be ………
1. Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane Mt 26:36-46
2. Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested Mt 26:47-56
3. Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin Mt 26:57-68
4. Jesus is denied by Peter Mt 26:69-75
5. Jesus is judged by Pilate Mt 27:1-2, 11-26a
6. Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns Mt 27:26b-30
7. Jesus takes up his cross Mt 27:31
8. Simon helps Jesus carry his cross Mt 27:32
9. Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem Lk 23:27-31
10. Jesus is crucified Mt 27:33-38
11. Jesus promises a place in heaven to the repentant thief Lk 23:32-33, 39-43
12. Jesus entrusts Mary and John to each other Jn 19:25-27
13. Jesus dies on the cross Mt 27:45-50
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb Mt 27:57-66